Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Airport Security

I hate it.
I hated it long before I had to deal with diabetes supplies, liquid restrictions and taking shoes off (athlete’s foot anyone???).  Now I really hate it, to the point that I stand back and watch the ridiculous ceremony that is getting on a flight and reflect on what this means about humanity today. I mean really, did you see the video of the 6 year old getting a pat down???
Ok I swear this rant has a point.

This weekend I flew home for Easter.  Getting there was no big deal; I’ve learned that if I take off all pieces of metal (earrings, necklace, zippers, pump clip) that I can walk through most metal detectors safely with my pump. One kind security person told me that those machines measure cumulative metal, so the less you have the more likely a pump can go through.  Luckily there were two lines, one sending people through the Xray machine thingy (I’m scared to take my pump through), and one through the old metal detectors. So I just kept myself to the Left and passed through with no problems.  Coming back, however, the metal detector was set on very sensitive, and I didn’t make it through.

“Female assist in line 1”
Bummer.  I tried to be nice, warning the lady that my bag was heavy, and explaining that I had an insulin pump in my bra.
“Can’t you move it to your hip or something?”
At the time the pump was in my bra and inset was in my thigh.  It was conveniently wrapped twice around my bra strap and once through my underwear, and the inset was taped down securely cuz it was my last one and I had already almost pulled it out.  
“Not without taking my clothes off.”
“Well you need to wear those on your hip next time”


I was furious. Through the whole stupid arms out, legs spread pat down, waistband rub down.  I mean really, did this lady think that she could tell me where to wear my pump.  Is it really that much of an inconvenience for her to actually do her job? And it is my right to refuse to do a backscatter xray.  $6000 as well as the pain in the butt of a non-functioning pump is enough of a reason for anyone.
This probably would be a good situation for diabetes promotion and making people understand. But instead I was just mad, grabbed my bags and walked off.  Sometimes I wish people had a little more patience and understanding… and didn’t try to tell me where to wear my pump. Trust me lady, if I had a choice I wouldn’t have the dang thing at all….

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment