Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Blog Week: Dear Dexcom


Letter writing day - Tuesday 5/10: "In February the Wego Blog Carnival asked participants to write letters to their condition.  You can write a letter to diabetes if you’d like, but we can also take it one step further.  How about writing a letter to a fictional (or not so fictional) endocrinologist telling the doctor what you love (or not) about them.  How about a letter to a pretend (or again, not so pretend) meter or pump company telling them of the device of your dreams?  Maybe you’d like to write a letter to your child with diabetes.  Or a letter from your adult self to the d-child you were.  Whomever you choose as a recipient today is the day to tell them what you are feeling."

Dear Dexcom:
I’m sorry, I really didn’t mean to throw that transmitter in the trash.  Really, I didn’t.  It’s just that I was busy living the rest of my life and mindlessly tossed it out. I’m sorry I didn’t have time or energy to put the new sensor in right then so I would realize my mistake. And I’m really sorry that I took your sensor out with the trash, into the dumpster and that you are now out there somewhere among the coffee grinds and rotten banana peels. 
I really did appreciate you sticking through me in the highs and the lows.  I kinda miss your really loud vibration and persistent beeping. I miss being able to know what my sugar was when I wanted, and the secure feeling I had knowing you were beside me at night.
I’m sorry ok??? Isn’t a sincere apology enough to get you back? Nope. Instead I have to go through insurance all over again in order to get cleared for a brand new system.  Doesn’t that seem like a little bit of a waste? The rest of the system is totally fine.  But a replacement transmitter is way more expensive than a whole system. I guess you are a one and done kind of guy after all.
 So I guess this is the end to this breakup letter.  I’ll be sure to be more careful with my next Dex, and not neglect him and treat him like trash… Until then I’ll go back to managing with single blood sticks…

J.

2 comments:

  1. I threw away my very 1st MM cgm transmitter...you just made me feel a little better about my scatterbrained self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no!!!!! Poor little Dex sensor. And poor you for having to buy a new one. :(

    ReplyDelete